Monday, April 09, 2007

Checking up on digging

I just went around to check out the progress going on with digging. Much to my surprise, things are going quite well overall.

We had a bit of a scare, when we had rain for a couple of days. But we've returned to the dry heat once again. Thank goodness, because we still have a few meters to dig. We'll check next week to assess the progress again. Enjoy the pictures below:




Finally a small vacation! Here's me (Brad Schallert) at Rhoumsiki, a geological attraction in the Extreme North. This was our first vacation (only one day) since arriving at post in Tourou.


Two workers in the small village of Toufou I use traditional picks to peirce through conglomerate rock. It was unannounced to AVISE that this well was actually being constructed. It was 2 m deep after only a day and a half of digging.



The well in Toufou I again with AVISE President Abdou Aminou overseeing the work.







3 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

andherbLeah and Brad, I was so happy to see the article in the Register Guard about your work in Cameroon. What a great way to let people here know of the conditions there and the need for "good water" and wells. Hopefully the article will prompt many to help financially and contribute to AVISE. My hiking group of retired teachers who are all friends of your mom and dad were all talking about it last week!! I'm so glad to also know of your blog site so I can appreciate even more all that you are doing to help these villages.
Bonnie Severson

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Leah and Brad, I was so happy to see the article in the Register Guard about your work in Cameroon. What a great way to let people here know of the conditions there and the need for "good water" and wells. Hopefully the article will prompt many to help financially and contribute to AVISE. My hiking group of retired teachers who are all friends of your mom and dad were all talking about it last week!! I'm so glad to also know of your blog site so I can appreciate even more all that you are doing to help these villages.
Bonnie Severson

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, look who decided to come read your blog...ME. So, I have been internetedly challenged up until now not understanding how blogs work, but I stayed up late this evening reading your blog cover to cover. Very interesting! The detailed descriptions along with the photographs give a good depiction of what you two are doing out there--unlike what Mike and I imagined as he said "tree-hugger chak out in the middle of Cameroon eating crickets and diggin' wells."

That's so awesome that you've assessed so specifically what needs to be done out there. How does Leah design filters to keep their water supplies fresh in the home? Has she already completed this project or is it a long term plan? How did you come up with the well design so as to keep the water sanitary? If animals are just poopin all over town, wouldn't they just lean over the wall of the well that will be built and contaminate the H2O? Final question: do you answer what is asked in the comments section of your blog? I'm not sure exactly how this will work once I push send, but if my computer does not blow up, I expect some answers promptly!

My thoughts are with you both!

R

 

Post a Comment

<< Home